Friday, September 11, 2009

Now that I KNOW my hair, I LOVE my hair!

Hey, it's know it's been soooo long since I've posted and I really did neglect my blog... But I really didn't want to abandon it forever so I decided now to post a new entry.
I have learned so much about hair care and maintenance since I stumbled upon a few different sites as well as some YouTube vids. The first site that I came across was K.I.S.S. I don't recall exactly when it was when I found it but it was eyeopening and the start of informed, healthy hair care for me.
I learned about what my hair needs, how to treat it, how to get it to the healthy state it's in now and a lot of different things I could do to keep it healthy. One thing I learned that I didn't believe was possible before: I CAN get it to the length I want it to be!
A little info about me when I was a kid: I HATED MY HAIR! You may think I'm being a bit dramatic with the use of caps on that statement but really, I'm being truthful... And HATE is not too strong a word, it's accurate. I remember begging my mom to allow me to get a relaxer & @ around 9 years old, she finally let me. How excited was I? Very! ... So I get the relaxer, right... And I loved the results. My hair was as straight as can be and actually silky for the first time. Probably the next day, I was over it and and back to wishing I had someone else's hair. My hair type is 3b and I really wanted "white girls' hair". No matter what anyone did to my hair, I still hated it.
So since coming across K.I.S.S and haircare videos on YouTube, and more recently, Hairlista, I have come to actually love my hair and that is a big relief, believe me. Prepoos, sulfate-free shampoos, moisturizing and sealing, frequent deep condition treatments, stretching between relaxers, being as gentle as possible with my hair and everything else I've learned has gotten me healthy hair and has helped me to accept my hair as a part of my Self and given me more self-esteem :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment