Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Hair Type?

I've always believed that my hair is a type 3b curl pattern. Now that I'm natural, my hair is growing out and I have more of it to deal with, I'm starting to think that I'm a type 3c. It seems to me that when I first big chopped, my hair had a looser curl pattern and more curl definition to it. Now, my hair feels a little bit more coarse. To be honest, I really never thought about my hair type very much until recently. There has been talk and debate among some naturals about who has "good hair" and who is really natural. Apparently, some naturals are saying things about mixed girls who are type 3 have it easier and aren't really natural. I don't really want to get into this here but Taren916 on YouTube made a video on this topic. What I'm trying to get at here is that after hearing about this going on in the natural hair community, I began to think about my own hair type more. My 2 sisters and I all have different hair types and our own different looks. My oldest sister has type 4 hair and my middle sister and I both have similar type 3 hair. I've called myself having type 3b and I've said that my middle sister has 3c hair. Now I'm beginning to think that I have type 3c hair too! Now I'm not all up in my sister's hair all the time like I am my own hair but this is just from me seeing her hair all the time... I think that hair type is important when you are looking for products. That's all. I don't want to be a part of a debate about whose hair is better. Ever. That's just useless to me. And me thinking that my hair type is 3c now, really doesn't change much. I just want to classify myself in the right category for the purpose of purchasing products. I know what products work well on my own hair but some companies do have recommendations based on hair type, so that's helpful. Here's a link to the Naturally Curly website hair typing section: http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

2 comments:

  1. my hair type is between 3a and 3b and i was recently confronted about whether or not i should be considered natural because of the texture of my hair and its what some ppl consider "good hair". which made me think why do have to have type 4 hair in order to be natural? but anywhoo not to talk your head off about that lol great post great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting :-) No one has said anything like that to me before... but I have had people say things like they couldn't be natural because they didn't have good hair like mine. (@ Kenzie)

    ReplyDelete