Thursday, January 22, 2015

Loving God's Best

I have so many devotionals that I didn't know which one to get out. For a while, I just wasn't reading one. I'd just open my Bible every day and read... something. But I decided to choose one and start reading it page for page every day. I chose this one.


I never have read through this whole thing, but the Lord has spoken into my heart through the pages of this book time and again. I'm going to share the passage from January 17th with you.


This passage quotes the verse of scripture where Jesus spoke to Peter, asking Him, "Lovest thou me more than these?" - John 21:15. Jesus and Peter went back and forth. Peter saying, "Yes, Lord I love you. And Jesus kept asking him. I'm not sure what Jesus was asking Peter did he love him more than, but what is it for us? What may you be loving more than the Jesus? Are you giving more time to your kids, you job, your looks? This Daily With The King Devotional quotes, "I am to love Christ because of His nature, His character, His being. I must love Him because I see spiritual beauty in Him..." and "To love the world is to choose the less than perfect, the less than highest, and therefore to cross swords with God, who says the highest is Christ."
So what are YOU putting in front of Christ, with your time and attention. I know He's always working on each and every one of us to make us better. A relationship with Him includes being obedient to His voice and getting rid of any idols we may have. He only wants the best for each of us. Things or people we may love and hold onto dearly for comfort or familiarity may be harmful to us and only our perfect Heavenly Father knows just what we need!


4 comments:

  1. This is a great reminder. Thanks... very thought provoking as there are literally dozens of things I probably put before Christ every day (work, 2 year old, marriage, this blog, the need to eat sugar-- ha!). Thanks for this gentle reminder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know! It's hard to be perfect lol... But isn't it awesome how He still loves us the same?! Thanks for sharing your honesty.

      Delete
  2. I have a devotional that I adore. It's called Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. It prepares me for the my day in all of the best ways, yet I find that I don't read it every day. I am in graduate school, which takes up so much of my time. Often I'm tired....a weary warrior just trucking along. Sometimes I feel like I don't have time to sit down and read, but I always want to have time for Jesus. After all, it only takes a few minutes. Thank you for encouraging me to be more committed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Jesus Calling too. It's one of my favorites. It is hard for me sometimes, too to find that time. Sometimes I'm trying to find just the right time. But just a few minutes is better than none.

      Delete